Friday, October 2, 2009

Cake Lesson

The night I went to see Ben Folds, the rest of the cast had five minute presentations on various 1950s topics. The freshman girl playing Mrs. Potts spoke on cooking and baking. She made a type of cake her character mentions in the production: a Lady Baltimore Cake. It is three layers of vanilla with coconut, chopped raisons, nuts, cherries, and sweet icing.

Like I said, I missed her original talk, but she saved a piece for me! It was very kind. She saw me in the dinning hall at dinner and said "Oh! I've got a piece for you!" I said thanks and continued on. Then, just as promised, ten minutes before rehearsal she appeared in the theatre lobby with a huge slab of the cake on a plate and a fork. I woofed it down because it was so darn delicious, complementing her between my huge and fast chomps. It wasn't just for me--she had made the cake for the cast, but I was really grateful, and she was very happy to see my gratitude. She smiled and said You're welcome.

It was a wonderful interaction and so sweet for her to have baked, saved, and presented me a piece. But, I forgot she brought the slice too, which is almost more loving than anything else. I can envision her walking alone from the opposite end of campus carrying her script, shoes, and skirt in one arm and needing to balance a plate with open food with her free hand. Meanwhile, people pass and she her trotting along with his weird looking dessert. Something about that image made me really warm.

No comments: