Friday, July 26, 2019

One Song Glory

Listened to Hadestown soundtrack for the first time Wednesday because I had a long drive out to Santa Monica. Loved it very much. It cleaned up at the Tonys this year. It was originally a concept album/theatre piece traveling around in 2006. Talk about a long road. One of the players in the big fat Great White Way version won the Best Supporting Tony at age 74! Now that's a long road. This morning I went down a hole before my alarm was even set to go off of all the big shows this year. Oh yes I scoured message boards for all the spoilers of the Oklahoma revival. Fascinated. Gobbled up all the videos. The anchor of the whole thing (Jud) was first cast by this director in this weird version as a college student in, also, the mid-2000s. Road! Long!

Do we even hear the stories of people obsessed with their One Thing and the One Thing is just kinda bad and nothing? I know people who only ever do One Thing and kind of trot it out, but they aren't working on it, so it withers up. But throw enough love and time and eventually money at anything(?) and it will be incredible? Is this true? I heard the lady who made Tale of Two Cities say she just knew it was a Broadway show and spent a decade making it be so. Anything in it's first stages or in whatever places is gonna be bad, and even the best things some people think are bad, you know?

I'm asking because for so long I was trying to see needs and make art that met the needs. It's still hard not to leave a meeting and think "Oh so they want THIS, what can I think of real quick that is that?" In some ways that's a good entrepreneurial spirit, but is the real gold in cherishing the one one one thing and carrying it forever? Nia Vardalos did her solo show for years and years with screenplay on her desk until the day came someone asked for it. I always consider Matt Weiner carrying his pilot on his person, lort.

I think I know what my major items to peddle would be/are. Now the question is should I write these two features on spec and should I be even choosier with my brain space? And also were people solitarily in love or were they just better at knocking on doors with their few wares. Not to brag (this is my blog though), but people keep saying I am "prolific" which seems like such a deep serious compliment. I mean, yeah when I write down all I have written, it's a lot. But it's also my job. And I work hard, but I'm not dying. It feels right. Taking suggestions on this.

No comments: