Friday, August 7, 2015

Lesson of the Maine Grasshopper

My morning run is full of grasshoppers. They sense me coming. They leap aside. Today one little guy jumped a few feet in front of me when he sensed my impending jog. Of course in five seconds, I was still headed right for him. He jumped forward again, even further. But, I was still on the same path, so he had to jump a third time. The little goober went through this vaudeville act like six times before finally, finally--he jumped backwards when he sensed me approaching.

I'm sure it didn't make sense to him at the time. But it was going to be long, tiring road with no rest if he tried to keep up with me moving ahead. A backwards step (or bounce) was actually the best option. And, honestly, from my perspective, it didn't matter which way this bug skittered. What is "ahead" to a grasshopper? To us?

No comments: