Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Not Meeting TJ

Something rad about the Chicago improv scene is how transparent everyone is on the performer-to-performer level. Like, on Sunday I got to see my teacher perform in his show. I'd just spent the whole week chatting with him. He said, "I encourage you all to befriend me on Facebook."

The woman who INVENTED longform bops around the building. We do our lame warm-ups on the same stage that Tina Fey, Tim Meadows, Amy Poehler etc. played on. They were all once in Level One. I spill coconut water as I'm trying to tip-toe through a talent crush's class. He waves his hand like, "Eh, don't you worry!"

Some people are comfortable with this easiness. Javvy and I talk about how amazing the Tuesday night set was. A member of said set walks by. Javvy says, "Hey man! Great job!" I keep quiet. I know people like compliments...but all the time? From randos? Maybe he's just trying to get to Starbucks before he teaches, you know?

This leads me to how I haven't met TJ yet. For those of you who don't know, arguably the best improv show in the world currently is one called TJ & Dave--featuring, as you may have guessed, TJ and Dave. TJ is a phenomenal performer. I've gotten to see him a few times in different shows, and every time I am totally blown away by his skill.

I'm also blown away that for being THE man of improv in 2012, he is so accessible. He just walks around the theatre kindly and patting friends on the back. He hangs out at the bar for a moment. Tonight as I left a show he was in, he was outside on the sidewalk with some dude chillin'. I keep having opportunities to meet him. I mean...this is THE GUY. I SHOULD meet him. But...I think of what questions I have, and then I don't really have any. Like...I know what people say secrets of improv are. I could ask about his experience, but I could also save his time and find an interview online. Honestly the only thing that's not a dumb question is "What does your arm tattoo signify?" But what? Am I just going to meander over to him sometime and ask and then peace?

At the very least I could just say, "I love your work," shake his hand, and then I will have officially met TJ. But, honestly, as I thought of that, I realized that whole interaction would be for me. I don't want to GIVE him anything. I just want to be able to know TJ held my hand. In twenty years when people are talking about "the greats," I want to be able to say, "Yes. We met." That's rude of me, don't you think?

EDIT: Right after I wrote this post, I went to sleep. I dreamt I was auditioning for the second role in a two-person play starring TJ. Wut?

No comments: