Friday, November 6, 2009

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes!

My sister said something so novel to me when I saw Phantom of the Opera for the second time. I was a freshman in high school. It was my birthday gift from my parents. We all went downtown. I was excited--the last time I had seen it I was five. Phantom was my music of choice from toddlerhood to the beginning of middle school. That's when it switched over the Britney. Anyway.

At intermission the show wasn't so great. My sister turned and said, "well, it's a Sunday matinee." Although I had been doing theatre for years already, and that year marked the first big production I was in (Les Mis), this was a new concept. Shows can be dramatically (no pun intended) different if the actors feel a little lag, or a little push, or just got some good news about their family, or just ate a bad piece of pie, etc. When Beth came to visit that Easter, we went to the show again on a Friday. We had pretty crappy seats, but the performances were stellar.

That is so comforting to me. No one is going to see the same way I do anything in this play. My one English professor that was here last night is going to say, "her energy lacked in Act I...but Act iI was very well acted." That is what happened. Meanwhile, my other professor at the show Wednesday will be in her office with a confused look, "I thought the opposite. She was good with the funny bits, but pushed too hard later." And, they will both be right. But, there will be this layer of mystery and opinion over everything. No mater what happens tonight, someone from last night will disagree. Someone in the show will see things differently. I will feel one way or another.

That's really important to me.

No comments: