Sunday, January 2, 2022

It's My Blog & I'll Brag If I Want To (2021)

Traveled to a snowy A-frame in Big Bear, old friends in Arizona, new friends in Idyllwild, the present in Santa Barbara, the past in Chicago, the future in Mexico,  the midwest for family, Catalina for family, Encinitas for fun, Big Sur for love, Palm Springs for Christmas.

Wrote a full revamp of an old pilot, heavily revised two others, sold a movie on a pitch, wrote said movie, wrote a Scream feature spec, wrote a new thriller feature on spec, revised a horror thriller feature about six times (only for it to be shelved), started development on three TV shows, co-wrote two Barbie series, independently wrote four more Barbie series, negotiated for better pay, signed with a new manager, published an essay, wrote a new play, dramaturged another, two film festivals, consulted here and there. Weathered about 100 rejections--some that left me for dead and others I've forgotten. Expanded my network and ran a successful writers' event.

Graduated from an online attachment style program and made progress in monthly therapy. Read, I don't know, a dozen books? Did, I don't know, 300 work-outs and 52 meditations? Enjoyed so many afternoons at the Burbank movie theatre. Played board games with and without friends. Beat Mario Odyssey on the Switch. Kept my spaces tidy. Mourned a sweet little bb and came to love another. Never got Covid, managed my health insurance. Needles in my skin. Finally freed myself from a three-month long bank fraud nightmare. Started gymnastics, 

Went to Six Flags and Horror Nights. Andrew McMahon and Future Islands. Mentored a teen in writing every week. Helped mobilize for green legislature in LA. Began communications with an inmate writers' program. Maintained my status in the NAACP and White People for Black Lives. Showed myself. Liked being at home, liked taking meetings at the bakery patio down the street. Said no out of a need for rest, said yes to weekly Survivor with the neighbors. Made it.

We're just left to decay, modernity has failed us,
and I'd love it if we made it.

No comments: