Sunday, December 27, 2020

Thoughts about BWitched

Stomping our feet in Peppermint's bedroom. She had cream carpet with a hoard of Polly Pockets just right of the door.

Making up the Easter baskets for the family. I played the single over and over on my Hello Kitty boombox while doing circles with jelly beans around the kitchen table.

I sang one of the songs for the 5th grade talent show--not well I don't think--but I did wear my favorite khakis with the stripe down the side. It was before endless karaoke tracks, so the singer was just also singing through the loudspeaker. Oof.

They lasted longer on Radio Disney than I did. I've wikipedied them and found, one, they were older than I thought they were. Teen sensations were usually, you know, teens, but these ladies were 20 - 27 at their peak. Two, they were dropped from their label mid third album. I guess they weren't in a heyday of their sophomore album, but still seems heartless, no? I hope they all got piles of cash and didn't have to worry too much for the rest of their days.

I remember the CD I had--orange swirls. I adored track 6 even though still, even today, I don't fully understand what it's about.

Once in college I started playing one of the songs for laughs and my roommate was like "Wait! I loved this song!" And then suddenly the very moody poet next door who never even said "hi" in the hallways appeared, singing.

I think it's just so cool these girls made their cultural goofy noise into pop. Like, they had a jig on their otherwise Britney-esque collection. It was their legacy, and it's a very good one.

No comments: